Public Agency Working Group
Support for Local Government Agencies
The GEO Huntsville Public Agency Working Group serves as a user group for GIS professionals employed in local government, utilities, education, or any other public agency in the North Alabama region.
Our objective is to allow members to exchange information about products, technologies, or methodologies. To provide a forum for GIS professionals to build a personal network of peers, collaborate with local universities, and provide a venue for members of industry to present products and services to their target audience.
Agenda for the Geo Huntsville Local Government Working Group Meeting Thursday, April 9th at the Leak City Facility in Athens, AL. Click for details and its location
1:00 – Mason Matthews of Athens Utilities will present… “GIS in Utility Emergency Response: When technology and safety culture collide”
2:00 – Trey Alexander of The Civil Group / Williams Engineering will demonstrate work they are performing with a quad-copter drone and Pix4D image and terrain processing software
2:30 – Break
3:00 – Kimberley Denney of The Atlantic Group will discuss LiDAR acquisition and funding mechanisms for LiDAR projects.
3:30 – Moderator led discussion about the current and potential use of LiDAR and UAVs in our agencies.
4:00 – Nancy Graham of GeoCue will talk about their LiDAR processing software, “LP360”.
4:30 – Open discussion / Adjourn
2015 Operational Plan Objectives include the following:
- Continuing to grow our membership through regular meetings
- Providing support to local government agencies by leveraging regional talent and expertise
- Continuing to enhance our interactive map of GIS personnel and resources in the region
- Working with state government agencies and universities to explore educational opportunities
- Creating broader channels of communication for group members and
- Exploring collaborative opportunities with the GEOINT and Responder working groups through the Blueprint for Safety Initiative
Our members benefit from a close interaction with their peers forming personal networks to solve local challenges. Members also receiving regular updates from representatives of state agencies to stay current on statewide intiatives and other projects that may benefit or otherwise affect our group members.
The Public Agency Working Group is committed to supporting community resilience through our Interactive GIS Resource Locator --